Thursday, April 1, 2010

Helpful Tips from Tipnut

After almost a year of being unemployed, I finally started back to work this week!  Yah!  What that has meant though, is I have been slacking in the blogging and cooking/baking area!  I promise it won't last, I am just trying to adjust back to the early mornings and working "9-5".  I have plans for a pie for this Easter weekend to take to my Grandparents Easter dinner and there may also be some other sweets!  I also joined the Daring Bakers and will be working on my first challenge very soon! 

I just wanted to share with you some tips from a site called Tipnut.  I'm just going to paste some of the tips I found most interesting and will then link to the complete article.

45 Cooking & Baking Tips - A Collection of Timeless Wisdom
  • Add one teaspoon of lemon juice to each quart of water when cooking rice, this will keep rice fluffy.
  • For crisper salads: Place a saucer upside down in the bottom of the salad bowl before filling with salad. Excess moisture will run underneath the saucer and this will help keep the salad crisp and fresh.
  • You can substitute crumbled cornflakes for bread crumbs when making meatloaf.
  • A teaspoon of sugar mixed with your yeast and water makes it raise better. Even if you are making bread you can use some sugar. Never mix salt directly with the yeast and water mixture as the salt kills the raising action.
  • If it is a meringue pie you are making…add four or five marshmallows cut into pieces or 1/2 cup miniature ones, to meringue just before spreading. These marshmallows give both flavor and body to the meringue. The latter is important if pie is to stand for sometime before serving.
  • A wire cheese cutter is ideal for cutting chilled refrigerator cookie dough.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

After being off work for a year, it must be quite a change for you. I know after I was unemployed for close to the same amount of time, it took a few weeks to get back into my routine.

Have fun with the Daring Bakers Challenge! It's a great way to try new things that you wouldn't normally think about making.

Have a great weekend!

Sarah said...

Hi - I couldn't find your e-mail address and just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award today on my blog

http://brattypants.blogspot.com/2010/04/im-award-winner.html
=

Roni Pollington said...

Basically I have to find a whole new routine now, and I was SO tired after my first week. It was a good tired though!

Hope you are having a good Easter weekend!

Post a Comment

About Me

Why Roro? Many years ago, I was given the nickname 'Roro' by a good friend and it has stuck ever since!

Why a Recipe Blog? Recently I discovered a love for baking & cooking when Kevin and I bought our first house together in 2008. I started to get a lot of requests for the recipes I was trying and I thought a blog would be the best way to share them with everyone!

Click Here for More

Followers

Links

Proud member of FoodBlogs

Search This Blog