Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Spring Time Citrus Pie


















Recently I decided to join "You Want Pies With That?".  Each month a theme is posted and you have to create a creative and unique pie to go with that theme.  April's theme is "Spring", below is the pie recipe that I feel is very springy!

Crust:
17 oz roasted macadamia nuts
3/4 cup ground vanilla wafer cookies
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
2 cups fresh pink grapefruit juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp unflavoured gelatin
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
9 oz white chocolate
1/4 whipping cream

Topping:
1 cup chilled whipping cream
2 tbsp sugar
lime slices

Crust Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Finely chop nuts and then add ground cookies, sugar and butter.  Blend until moist crumbs form.
2. Press firmly onto bottom and sides of a 9 1/2 inch deep dish glass pie dish.  Bake crush until golden, about 10 minutes.  Cool.

Filling Directions
1. Boil grapefruit juice and 1/4 cup sugar in heavy medium saucepan over high heat until reduced to 3/4 cup; about 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatin over lime juice and let stand 10 minutes.
2. Add gelatin mixture, white chocolate and 1/4 cup cream to grapefruit mixture and whisk over low heat until white chocolate and gelatin melt and mixture is smooth.  Pour into large bowl.
3. Refrigerate until cool but not set, whisking occasionally and scraping down sides of bowl with rubber spatula, about 2 hours.
4. Pour into cooled pie crust and return to refrigerator.

Topping Directions
1. Beat cream and sugar to stiff peaks.  Spoon whipped cream into pastry bag fitted with star tip.  Pipe rosettes of cream around edge of pie.  Place lime slices rounded side up on pie.

Tips/Tricks/Notes

I was a little worried about how this pie would turn out when I first started, but I needed a springy pie and I thought, this is it!  The colours, the flavours all scream Spring to me!  Happily, it turned out to be wonderful!

In the future I plan on making a coconut cream pie with the crust, it tasted great on its own!  Also, a note on the crust; if macadamia nuts are out of your budge then trying walnuts or almonds instead.

The filling tasted just as I had hoped!  I was concerned only because I had never heard of such a idea and never tried using grapefruit for anything.  Also, when I planned the pie I wasn't sure how the colour would come out and it ended up so bright.  The only change I would make next time is I would up the amounts of each ingredient, maybe one and a half, as the filling could have come up a little higher on the crust.

All and all I am very glad I decided to join "You Want Pies With That?" and I can't wait to continue to try out more pies!

6 comments:

Corrine said...

This pie looks really good! Did everyone enjoy it? (And how did it taste with the grapefruit juice?)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This is truly a spring pie. I love the color of the filling.

Roni Pollington said...

Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous pie! The filling is such a great color and flavor combo sounds awesome!

Roni Pollington said...

Thanks! :D

Sarah said...

I love the look of this pie! Definitely a spring type!

The recipe has me really curious. I don't think I've ever had anything that would taste like it. I bet it's delish!

Post a Comment

About Me

Why Roro? Many years ago, I was given the nickname 'Roro' by a good friend and it has stuck ever since!

Why a Recipe Blog? Recently I discovered a love for baking & cooking when Kevin and I bought our first house together in 2008. I started to get a lot of requests for the recipes I was trying and I thought a blog would be the best way to share them with everyone!

Click Here for More

Followers

Links

Proud member of FoodBlogs

Search This Blog